At the beginning of 2018, I set some goals for myself. I’ve sort of condensed them below, so I can quickly reflect on what I got done and what I didn’t.
- Finish two quilts and two quilt tops
- Finish three cross-stitches
- Complete the second draft of my MG SciFi and submit to Critique Group at least six times
- Sort the basement storage room
- Deal with paper in the study and set up my desk in the study
- Weight train twice a week
- Cardio twice a week
- Flexibility two to three times a week
- Eat dinner as a family at least twice a week
- Facetime with SIL’s family once a month
- Boardgames with S and C at least 10 times
Numbers 1, 3, 7, 8, and 10 were a complete bust. I didn’t do any of them more than 2-3 times or for 2 months. In part, I’m sure that is because I set far too many goals last year. How can one person focus on all of those things for a whole year? I’m sure I went into it thinking I would knock several things out early and then pick up with the next things, but that just didn’t happen.
I accomplished 5 and 11. As for the rest: I finished two of the three cross stitches I set out to do (2). We made real progress in the basement storage area, but there is still some work to do (4). I have been weight training twice a week since Sept 1st (6) and feel confident I will continue to do so for this year. The eating dinner as a family (9) is something I have made a priority off and on through the year.
I wish I had accomplished more of the things I set out to do last year, but I also feel I learned a lot from failing. Next year I need to simplify my goals. I need to focus on just a few things. If my list is too long, it will overwhelm me, not encourage me to pick a few things off so I can work on the rest.
How did 2018 go for you? Did you get any big things off your goals list?